Binalong Accommodation, Hotels, Tours & Information

Refine Search

To select multiple items, Ctrl-Click (or Cmd-Click on Mac)


Binalong was an area settled by Europeans in the 1820's, decades before official records by Colonial authorities became apparent. Originally called モBennelongヤ, the name was changed at the suggestion of local residents to Binalong, an Aboriginal word meaning モTowards a High Placeヤ. With its close proximity to モLambing Flatヤ (Young) goldfields, Binalong was an obvious stopping place for Cobb and Co coaches and equally, a lucrative area for bushranger operations. Infamous bushranger モFlashヤ Johnny Gilbert, was shot dead by troopers in a nearby paddock on the 13th May, 1865. His grave is on a hillside close to town along the Harden Road. Australia's best-known poet, Andrew Barton Paterson, better known as モBanjoヤ spent his early childhood at モIllalongヤ, a local property between Binalong and Yass. His writings in later life clearly express his love for the local people and lifestyle of the area. His father's grave can be found in the local cemetery. Illalong quarry provided much of the rock needed for the construction of Burrinjuck Dam. Presenting a balance mix of buildings, Binalong has an old Cobb and Co Inn (c1840), Police Station and Courthouse (c1883), local bluestone Mechanics Institute (c1912) and Old Railway Station (c1883). Also the Roman Catholic church St Patricks (c1913) which replaced the original structure of 1861 and the Anglican Church St Thomas (c1866).

Binalong Map

Binalong Map - Legend
Multiple Hotels
Click on the map markers for more information. Hover over the map to zoom in & out or see satellite & terrain views.