Stroud Accommodation, Hotels, Tours & Information

Refine Search

To select multiple items, Ctrl-Click (or Cmd-Click on Mac)

Places nearby Stroud


The township of Stroud can trace its beginning back to the late 1820s when it became the headquarters for a public funded company known as the Australian Agricultural Company (A. A. Company). In 1824, this company received a grant of 400,000ha of land (almost a million acres) in the Upper Hunter Region between Port Stephens and the Manning River. This land was to be used for agriculture and the production of fine wool. Many fine buildings were constructed on the northern shores of Port Stephens and at Stroud. Some of these are still in use today: Stroud House (1827-32); St John's Church (1833) and Quambi School House (late 1830s). Also worthy of mention are the underground grain silos, built by the A. A. Company for the storage of grain. Many other lovely old buildings can be seen throughout the district. Many of the convict-built buildings from this era are still standing and can be seen by taking a guided tour with the Historic Society.

Stroud Map

Stroud Map - Legend
Multiple Hotels
Click on the map markers for more information. Hover over the map to zoom in & out or see satellite & terrain views.