Blakehurst Accommodation, Hotels, Tours & Information

Refine Search

To select multiple items, Ctrl-Click (or Cmd-Click on Mac)

Places nearby Blakehurst


Flanked by the waters of Kyle Bay and Kogarah Bay, Blakehurst is part of the Georges River municipality of Kogarah.

Taking its name from the local Aboriginal term for 'place of reeds', Kogarah, 15km south of the Sydney CBD, was first settled in the 1860s, but its development was triggered by the opening of the rail line through the district to Hurstville in 1884.

Several buildings in the municipality such as the School of Arts and the original post office, now a Community Aid Centre, date back to the 19th century, while the Greek Orthodox Church, built in 1981, adds a classic touch of Neo Byzantine to the Kogarah streetscape.

Jubilee Oval was home to St George when the Dragons were such a dominant force in the Sydney Rugby League premiership.

Over recent years, the Kogarah Town Centre has lost part of its soul as the growth of commerce and educational facilities have forced residents out of the area. At the dawn of the new millennium less than 400 people lived in the centre which attracted 7000 workers, 3000 TAFE and 3000 school students every working day. The council has implemented a plan to increase the number of permanent residents by at least 2000 and to attract more people oriented services into the town centre.

Blakehurst Map

Blakehurst Map - Legend
Multiple Hotels
Click on the map markers for more information. Hover over the map to zoom in & out or see satellite & terrain views.