Pine Creek Accommodation, Hotels, Tours & Information

Refine Search

To select multiple items, Ctrl-Click (or Cmd-Click on Mac)





Pine Creek

Established in the late 1800s after a gold rush in the area, Pine Creek is located 90 kilometres north of Katherine. The town is a treasure trove of heritage bush buildings and mining sites. Echoes of the gold rush days are still evident in the historic Pine Creek Settlement. Gold was discovered at Pine Creek in 1871 by construction workers on the Overland Telegraph Line. There is a small and informative museum and preserved railway station within the township. The township is small but offers a range of accommodation options, including caravan parks and cabins. Many of the original buildings still stand, allowing travellers to soak up some of the old pioneering spirit. Step back in time by driving the Northern Goldfields Loop Heritage trail that takes you from Pine Creek to Adelaide River and on to the fascinating Grove Hill Heritage Hotel, an insight into life during the era. Pine Creek is full of colourful characters and friendly locals. Next door to the Pine Creek Pub is the famous Maysie's Cafe. With decor inspired by 1950s American diners, walls adorned with pictures of classic Hollywood glamour, and the shirt Leonardo De Caprio wore in Romeo and Juliet, this charming little pit-stop serves delicious mango smoothies.

Pine Creek

Pine Creek: Where To Go / Sightseeing

Spring Hill Battery Complex


A range of archaeological remains are found at this site including a concrete amalgam retort, large corrugated iron water tank, an explosives magazine, remains of a rock and earth dam, a vertical boiler and a large cylinder compressor. The most prominent relic is a ten head stamp battery set into a terraced earth floor with a concrete base. The battery's mortar boxes bear the words "A.Harkness and Co Engineers Bendigo 1900". The stampers iron frame bear the mark "A. Harkness and Co. Victoria Foundry Bendigo 1895". This stamp was powered by an internal combustion engine. Only the concrete platform for this engine remains.



,
Part of NT Portion 1630 designated NT Portion 5272(A). (7 Km SSW of the former township of Burrundie).
Pine Creek, NT, 0847

Located 0.2K from Pine Creek

Pine Creek Railway Precinct


Learn about the importance of a rail link to the mining boom of the late 19th century and the towns along its route at the Pine Creek Railway Precinct.

The precinct comprises the railway station building, Stationmaster's house and Miners' park. Originally the end of the line of the uncompleted 19th century transcontinental railway system, Pine Creek railway enabled companies to transport machinery and equipment to the minefields easier than had been possible previously.

The railway was eventually extended to Katherine. During World War II Pine Creek was one of the four dispersal bases on the North Australian Railway. Today you will see one of the original Beyer Peacock locomotives on display.

At the Miners' Park the link between the railway and the mining industry is explained. Mining machinery and technology from mines that are no longer in existence are on display. The park contains information about the mining past of Pine Creek from the early Chinese miners to current gold extraction.

Please note that while entry to the precinct is free, an entry fee applies to the railway station. The Railway Station is open (May to September) for public inspection.



,
Lot 271, Town of Pine Creek (120 Main Terrace, Pine Creek).
Pine Creek, NT, 0847

Located 0.2K from Pine Creek

Pine Creek Post Office and Repeater Station


The building, now referred to as the 'repeater station', was originally erected at Burrundie as the Chief Mining Warden's quarters. Completed in 1889, it served as accommodation and office space for the Burrundie Mining Warden until 1905 when the position was transferred to Pine Creek. The building at Burrundie was then used by the Assistant Warden, Mines Department. In 1913 it was dismantled and transferred to Pine Creek as the quarters for Chief Mining Warden E.C. Playford. Several buildings were transported to Pine Creek from other locations as the mining economy shifted. When the position of Chief Mining Warden was transferred to Darwin the building reverted to Assistant Mining Warden, John Niemann who was also the local Chemist. Over time, the building has been a Doctor's residence, clinic, staff quarters for the Pine Creek half-caste home, hospital, military communications centre, and Post Office during World War II. After the war, the building remained in use as a Post Office and residence and in the 1970s an automatic telephone exchange was installed. The building has had a number of local identities associated with it, including Edward Copley Playford, Dr Clyde Fenton and John Niemann.



,
Lot 155, Town of Pine Creek (11 Railway Terrace, Pine Creek).
Pine Creek, NT, 0847

Located 0.2K from Pine Creek

Pine Creek Bakery


The baker's shop and bakery at Pine Creek are of historical and architectural significance as an example of a Top End galvanised iron store typical of the Pine Creek district. This is the earliest surviving example of this type of store and contributes to the Main Terrace streetscape.

Timber frame and corrugated galvanised iron clad buildings including the main store buildings that has a bush timber verandah on Main Terrace; the bakery itself at the rear of the store and various outbuldings on the site.



,
Lot 59, Town of Pine Creek (81 Main Terrace, Pine Creek).
Pine Creek, NT, 0847

Located 0.2K from Pine Creek

Old Playford Club Hotel


Built in 1889, this was the first hotel in Pine Creek. Except for a period during World War II the building operated as ah hotel until its closure in 1959 when the licence was transferred to the present hotel. There are two short periods when it is assumed that the hotel continued in operation but for which no information has been obtainable: 1891-1894 and 1921-1929. The building is timber framed with and galvanised iron sheeting, a style popular in the Top End between 1897-1937. It is one of only a few buildings in Pine Creek that are over 100 years old and demonstrates the streetscape of Pine Creek for the whole of the twentieth century. The building has been associated with a number of well-known local Pine Creek identities including the Dowling/Young family, which is well known in the Top End for their involvement in the hotel business. Within the block is a rectangular cement lined well of 6-8 metres depth. This appears to be one of two left in Pine Creek. In the past, these wells were common throughout the town.



,
Lot 31, Town of Pine Creek (97 Main Terrance, Pine Creek).
Pine Creek, NT, 0847

Located 0.2K from Pine Creek

Old Bonrook Station Homestead


Old Bonrook Station is an example of an early timber framed corrugated galvanised iron building which was common in the Northern Territory from 1897-1937. It is of lightweight construction with no ceiling or wall linings and was described as an 'oven' by the Chief Health Officer of the period. This type of structure was easily dismantled and moved as needs demanded. The building is one of only a few in Pine Creek over 100 years old and demonstrates the streetscape of Pine Creek for over a century. The building has been associated with a number of well known identities, the best known being explorer and pastoralist Alfred Giles who built the homestead.



,
Lot 34, Town of Pine Creek.
Pine Creek, NT, 0847

Located 0.2K from Pine Creek

North Australia Railway Remnants


Remnants of the former North Australia Railway including: a section of the original 1889 railway corridor north to the Stuart Highway; the railway bridge; the railway reservoir, sluice gate and overflow; the ransomes and rapier water column; 25,000 gallon elevated water tank; ash pit; four lane railway yard and turning triangle; and the southern signal tower. The remnants also include the first section of the 1914-17 railway extension south to Emungalan; and the second section of the 1914-17 railway extension to Emungalan.



,
Lots 327(A); 328(A); 329(A); 330(A), Town of Pine Creek.
Pine Creek, NT, 0847

Located 0.2K from Pine Creek

Grove Hill Hotel


The Grove Hill Hotel is an example of ingenuity through the use of recycled materials for the construction of a residence and commercial building. It demonstrates the re-use of materials during the period of the depression when cash and building materials were in short supply. It is also an example of a metal framed structure in which various design elements were included to specifically deal with the tropical climate. The hotel demonstrates a way of life and has aesthetic interest in its seeming simplicity but ingenuity of design elements which have been incorporated over the building's lifetime. The hotel is the original hotel situated on the original stretch of the Stuart Highway and North Australia Railway which has had continuous occupation and has been operated as a hotel for most of its lifetime except for the period during the war and between 1976-1990.



,
Part of NT Portion 2683 designated NT Portion 4641(A).
Pine Creek, NT, 0847

Located 0.2K from Pine Creek

NABP 13 Passenger Carriage


NABP13 Passenger Carriage was built in Port Augusta in 1925 and is a well preserved example of an early 20th century composite railway passenger carriage catering for both first and second class passengers. The carriage operated on both the Central and North Australia Railways, both of which are significant to the history of the Territory as major infrastructure initiatives that played an important role in its development.



,
Currently Located at Lot 271 Town of Pine Creek (Railway Precinct).
Pine Creek, NT, 0847

Located 0.2K from Pine Creek

Fergusson River Railway Bridge and Boiler


The Fergusson River Bridge and Boiler are a major feature of the local landscape and are significant as remnants of the North Australia Railway (NAR) and for their engineering achievement, particularly in such a remote location. The NAR and its associated infrastructure were critical to the settlement and development of the Territory and proved to be vital transport infrastructure during WWII for the defence of Northern Australia.

The bridge was built from 1914-1918 and used until the NAR closed in 1976.

The consortium involved in the construction the new standard gauge Alice Springs to Darwin rail link agreed that the bridge was suitable for re-use. This is the only NAR bridge used on the new ralway, which was completed in January 2004.

The steam boiler beside the bridge was probably used to power steam driven equipment during construction. Historical photographs of bridge construction at the Katherine River clearly show equipment powered by steam boilers. Why the boiler was left on the river bank is uncertain but it may have developed faults that were too costly for repair.



,
Part of NT Portion 5836 designated NT Portion 7000(A). (approximately 33Km South of Pine Creek).
Pine Creek, NT, 0847

Located 0.2K from Pine Creek

Pine Creek Map

Pine Creek Map - Legend
Multiple Hotels
Hotel
Click on the map markers for more information. Hover over the map to zoom in & out or see satellite & terrain views.