Gayndah Accommodation, Hotels, Tours & Information

Refine Search

To select multiple items, Ctrl-Click (or Cmd-Click on Mac)





Gayndah

Gayndah lays claim to being the oldest towns in Australia, founded in 1849 maintaining its old fashioned charm today. Several buildings have been heritage listed including Mellors Drapery (one of the few buildings in Australia which still uses a flying fox to deal with transactions), old section of the State School, Gayndah Soldier's Memorial( Hall (Town Hall and Council Chambers), Racecourse and several rail bridges.

Sheep and mining brought settlers into ( the area, but it was the drier, less humid climate, rich volcanic and alluvial soils and plenty of sunshine that set the area up as a prime citrus growing centre and is popular during the cooler months of May to August with local and visiting fruit pickers.

Gayndah is famous for it's biennial Orange Festival which is a celebration of the abundant citrus produce which comes from the region. Among the many historical points of interest, the Gayndah Art Gallery, Gayndah Museum with it's extensive display dedicated to the Queensland Lungfish (or Ceratodus)Archers Lookout and the town clock are all worth a mention.

Gayndah is part of the Burnett Circle Touring Route and can be visited as part of a six day drive tour to take in all of the rural and authentic Australian experiences as part of the North Burnett.

Gayndah

Gayndah: Where To Go / Sightseeing

Gayndahs Big Orange


Gayndah is known as the citrus capital of Queensland and also the home of the Big Orange. Visit between April and October to taste the fresh juice made from the citrus growing on the property. The cafe serves up delectable Devonshire Teas and Real Bean Coffees. Why not stay for lunch to feast of fresh hamburgers, wraps and toasted sandwiches.

Take a break and relax at this perfect stop for weary travellers.




3 Mick Lutvey Street,
A3,
Australia's Country Way
Gayndah, QLD, 4625

Located 0.2K from Gayndah

Gayndah War Memorial


The north Burnett town of Gayndah is known for its oranges, and Queensland's most impressive outdoor honour board to war heroes.

Harold Wilson, from nearby Cooranga station, privately commissioned the memorial, presenting it to Rawbelle and Gayndah councils in 1921 in honour of the 270 local men who enlisted in WWI.

It's considered the finest work of Norwegian migrant and metal artisan Ernest Gunderson.

Gunderson combined Australian and British motifs, highlighting the imperial and national loyalties of the time: among them, the female figure of Britannia holding a shield of 'Liberty'; a laurel wreath encircling crossed flags and the words 'FOR KING AND COUNTRY'; mounted Light Horsemen; a British lion; kangaroos and an emu.

Although honour boards are a common form of war memorial, they are usually situated inside publicly accessible places such as the council halls. Not so Gayndah's: the WWI memorial stands in a square between the post office and library. Behind is a memorial garden including commemorative plaques to service personnel of WWII and conflicts up to Somalia.




Capper Street
Gayndah, QLD, 4625

Located 0.2K from Gayndah

Gayndah Map

Gayndah Map - Legend
Multiple Hotels
Hotel
Click on the map markers for more information. Hover over the map to zoom in & out or see satellite & terrain views.