Heron Island Resort
Via Gladstone , Heron Island QLD 4680
Heron Island is a true coral cay surrounded by white sands, crystal clear waters, acres of brilliant coral and an abundance of marine life. As a World Heritage-Listed Marine National Park, it is a true nature lover's paradise. The Island is a protected habitat for an array of wildlife including nesting turtles and Native Australian birdlife. Renowned for its diving, it has access to more than 20 Great Barrier Reef dive sites, half of which are within 15 minutes of the resort. With ecotourism in mind, the resort in conjunction with the neighbouring Research Station offers many activities such as guided island ecology, birdlife, reef walks (in low tide) and tours to watch the nesting and hatching habits of turtles (seasonal).
- Bar on Premises
- Day Spa
- Currency Exchange
- Internet Facilities
- Kids Club
- Guest Laundry
- Night Entertainment
- Pay Phone
- Restaurant - Licensed
- Safety Deposit Box Available
- Resort Shop
- Tennis Court - Full Size
- Water Sports Gear
8:30am - 6:00pm | Daily
Varies with transfers (usually around 2:00pm).
Check In/Out Info:
Please refer to travel documentation regarding access out of reception hours.
Number Of Rooms:
Number Of Floors:
Distance To Nearest Airport:
72 kilometres north east of Gladstone off the coast of central Queensland. Please note that Heron Island is 1 hour ahead of Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST), year round. Heron Island is situated on the southern Great Barrier Reef, on the leeward (western) side of Heron Reef.
Distance To Nearest Beach:
50m to beach.
Serving modern Australian cuisine. Open daily for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Credit Cards Accepted:
All major credit cards.
Note that a credit card may be requested upon check-in as a form of security deposit.
Day Spa Facilities:
Day Spa available, charges payable direct.
Disabled room(s) available on request.
Babysitting available on request, charges apply, payable direct.
Junior Rangers (Available during Australian school holidays for children 07-12 years inclusive)
Junior Rangers program - a one off registration fee per child applies during Australian school holiday periods. The registration fee ensures full membership which includes - free access to Junior Rangers activities for the duration of stay, a Heron Kids Junior Ranger cap, Heron Kids Junior Ranger workbook and each of the 15 brightly coloured cloth badges as they are earned.
Note - additional fees apply for snorkelling, semi sub and fishing trips.
Arrive at Heron Island by private helicopter flight (30 minutes), seaplane flight (25 minutes) or by coach and boat transfers (2.5 hours) from Gladstone Airport.
Private helicopter transfers, from HeliReef Hanger, Gladstone to Heron Island and return depart daily during daylight hours on demond. HeliReef Hanger is located 5 minutes drive from the Gladstone Main Airport. Transfers at own arrangements and expense.
Seaplane flights from Gladstone Main Airport to Heron Island and return depart daily during daylight hours on demand.
Complimentary coach transfer departs Gladstone Airport daily at 10:15am (AEST), arriving at Gladstone Marina to connect with the 11:00am (AEST) boat transfer.
Return boat transfer from Heron Island departs at 2:00pm (Island Time) arriving at Gladstone Marina at 3:45pm (AEST) connecting with the complimentary coach transfer to Gladstone Airport. Coach transfer will connect with all flights departing Gladstone Airport from 5:30pm (AEST) onwards.
Note: Boat transfer does not operate daily. Days of oeration vary throughout the year.
Launch Transfer Information: Heron Island Resort lies on the Tropic of Capricorn, 72 kilometres off the Queensland coast NE of Gladstone.
- Transfer duration by boat is approximately 2 hours (subject to weather conditions).
- At 34 metres, The Heron Islander is specifically designed to provide a comfortable and spacious transfer from the Queensland mainland to Heron Island. She comfortably seats 170 and has a top speed of 30 knots (55kmh).
- Arrival details into Gladstone must be advised at time of booking in order to confirm launch transfers.
Seaplane Transfer Information:Seaplane transfers operated by Australia by Seaplane from Gladstone to Heron Island depart daily between 7:00am and 4:30pm. Flight time is approximately 25 minutes, and is subject to tides.
- Heron Island Resort is in partnership with the Sea Turtle Foundation, a non-profit, non-government organisation dedicated to safeguarding sea turtle populations, migration routes and habitats. The partnership aims to provide guests with a greater opportunity to understand and support the Green and Loggerhead turtles which swim in the nearby waters. An optional donation of AUD10.00 on check-out will help to support the Foundation. Guests who do not wish to donate can request the charge be removed from their account.
- No check-in or check-out is permitted on Christmas Day as transfers do not operate on this day.
Dates and Passenger details